Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Natural Air Freshener

This one's an idea shared by a fellow member of Mylot which i have found to be very useful and effective and which i have (as usual) improvised for lack of ingredients. I always love a nice smelling room/house/bathroom and i consume a lot of air freshener, scented candles, potpourri oil, and incense sticks. I wanted to do away with air freshener considering the damage it could bring to our environment and also the scented candles because i tend to forget to put it off. With the incense sticks, i have found the ash to be sometimes quite messy even on a holder. Now this new incense-like room freshener is a lot safer, cleaner, more natural and has a lasting scent that lingers in the house all day long.

Ingredients:
2 tbsps. Liquid Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Mint Leaves (preferably dried)
1 tbsp. Cinnamon Powder
2 tbsps. Vanillin Sugar
1 tbsp. Grated Solid Musk
1 1/2 cups water

Procedure:
Mix all ingredients in a stock pot. Cover pot. Bring to a boil. Adjust heat to medium low. Open pot and let the smoke fill the room. This will leave a sweet and fresh scent in your the house.

I usually carry the smoking pot around the house and swing the pot a little to let the smoke out. The scent is actually absorbed by the curtains and linens and fabrics of sofas. The ingredients above actually makes Vanilla Musk scent. One can play with the ingredients, experiment with herbs/leaves scents, add lemon and lime peelings, use other kinds of potpourri oils instead of solid musk. I plan to use Pine tree leaves and bark next time and citrus peelings instead of musk and vanilla. Please leave a comment if you have tried this.

1 comments:

on the edge said...

I love this idea of yours ! I used to do something similar myself in the winter . I would put in a sauce pan of water some cinnamon , cloves , orange and the just let it all simmer on top of the space heater .Thanks for following my blog . I am checking all of your out now . I like them a lot and will add them to my blog rolls . Take care , On The Edge