Wednesday, September 3, 2008

On Love and Onions

A very long time ago, I was told "Pinky, our love is like an onion..." and i couldn't figure out the rest of the words/explanation because all saw before my eyes was a "slow peeling of the onion bulb until there's nothing left." And tears blurred that vision, realizing that "Love like an Onion" speech is actually an introduction towards the end. A break up. Boy, was that so bland a taste for words? And the poor onion, my sweet spice of all times, was hostaged. So i believed the statement and let go.
This time, I want to redeem Onion.
As i slice the smooth, shiny, translucent bulb, happiness fill me. Every "guinisa" tastes glorious with tons of sliced or diced onions. People always wonder what i put on it. Don't we ever wonder how most people seem to be a lot happier, lighter, and more inspiring than some? No, it's not because of the guinisa with lots of onions. It is love. Sweet, and spicy.
When sauteing, I don't need to add "vetsin" or "guinisa mix." What do I need the artificial flavor for when i have loads of onions to make my food real happy?
Love never peels away. An onion, never does too, or else it becomes nothing, and leaves nothing but a smell that makes you cry. And though sometimes it brings you tears, but it always comes back on a platter that fills your life.
My marriage is so spiced up that i, together with my husband, could be tossed anywhere and any place would simply taste good. Onions in salads, onions in broth, onions in patties, onions over anything...Oh sweet love!
I bet there's more "Onion Stories" to discover and be inspired with.
Let us redeem Onion.

0 comments: